Friday, June 24, 2016

REVIEW: Power Lines #1

Creator: Jimmie Robinson
Writer: Jimmie Robinson
Illustrator: Jimmie Robinson
Colors: Jimmie Robinson
Letterer: Jimmie Robinson
Review: Madman

I've no clue when I picked this book up.
Zero.
None at all.
I'm sure it was one of the random titles put into my folder at the local shop by the grand Poohbah of comics, but the real mystery is when. If it’s not a “current” book you have my apologies.

The book starts out with a two page synopsis of Earth's history, starting with the geomagnetic polarity reversing 41,000 years ago to present day. During the brief summary we learn when the glaciers melted 10,000 years ago a mysterious gold-colored triangular “Power Line” was revealed, and then 2,000 years later the "Power Lines" were discovered by Native Americans. The natives secretly used the "Power Lines" to defend their lands for the next 200 years until the evil white man and his Indian Removal Act of 1830 scattered the tribes, and the mysterious ancient "Power Line" was lost and never rediscovered until now.


Then blam! We're riding shotgun with four hood rats screaming down some California highway en route to the white upper class neighborhood to lay down some tags . . . The Fuzz shows up and give chase to the crew. D-Trick, the smart guy, is cornered by the 5-0, and just as the cops go to grab Mr. Trick, he is rocketed off the ground by a large pillar of golden . . . light . . . fire . . . energyish something. Trick’s pupils also turn to golden triangles, which grants him the ability to see “Hella Far”. Then we get a few panels of Tight, the crews leader, as he smashes a car window and snatches a purse . . . turn the page . . . Blam! Naked Indian! By Blam! I mean standing over a good-sized fire holding a dead rabbit in one hand and a very menacing knife in the other. By naked I mean naked. Probably my favorite panel of the entire issue. Not just because there’s a naked Indian standing over a fire BBQ'n his junk but because said Indian says “I can feel it. It begins”.
Frame that business right now.
I imagine two things:
#1: him still standing there at the end of the issue.
#2: a overcooked microwaved hotdog.

As fate would have it, the woman that Tight stole the purse from can do the same thing as D-Trick in regards to the golden triangle “power ups". We learn this when she and her son track her phone looking for her stolen belongings. The lady knocks out the crew and then we see a mysterious Indian hiding in the shadows as she makes her getaway.

I really can’t decide if I like this book or not. I mean it’s kind of fun, but I’m not sure it tingled my feels enough for me to actually put forth the effort to find the next issue, and I’m certainly not buying the t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment