Saturday, October 15, 2016

REVIEW: The Great Lakes Avengers #1

Writer: Zac Gorman
Artist: Will Robson
Colors: Tamra Bonvillain
Letter: Joe Caramagna
Review: Madman

The tagline for this book completely sucked me in. It went something like this, “'All New, All Different?' No, thank you! New things are bad and different things are scary! Instead, why not join everybody's least favorite super-hero team, the Great Lakes Avengers", blah blah so on and so forth.

I really didn’t read anymore after that because, well, I was already sold. Every now and again I do enjoy the quirky irrelevant titles Marvel throws out. Sometimes I regret that decision, but sometimes it’s a solid win, such as The Superior Foes of Spiderman. I enjoyed the hell outta that run. Had I passed that up I would’ve missed Shocker running around NYC with Silvermane's head in a bowling ball bag and, well, that would’ve been very not cool. This book gave me that same vibe so here I am.



Flatman has, by some strange turn of events, regained copyright rights to the Avengers name and has decided to get the old gang back.

 Roll call!
 Flatman who has Mr. Fantastic stretchy powers that only work if he’s flat, Big Bertha who’s a fat lady that can make herself even fatter at will, Doorman who teleports and can go intangible, the werewolf Good Boy, Mr. Immortal who can’t be killed, some new redheaded goth girl named Pansy, and the fan favorite Squirrel Girl.

We’re provided our D-list villains in the form of Shriek, Firebrand, and Pitchfork. They baddies don’t really do much except argue the rules for paper-rock-scissors but, hey, we’re just getting started here. I’ve really zero complaints thus far and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment