Friday, December 2, 2016

REVIEW: The Mummy: Palimpsest #1

Written by: Peter Milligan
Art by: Ronilson Freire
Review: Will Dubbeld

Regular visitors to this column (and yes, I'll be arrogant enough to presume there are regular visitors . . .) will have noticed I'm quite fond of pop culture from yesteryear. Film and comics books (clearly) from the 1940s through the '80s in particular capture the essence of what I consider the pinnacle of achievement for those genres.
Exceptions notwithstanding, I'll choose a classic noir or horror over a more contemporary counterpart.
Thus we arrive at Hammer Horror.

In the 1950s through the 1970s Hammer studios cranked out a bevy of gothic horror films through vehicles like Frankenstein Created Woman and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Without gushing over how sublime these films are, which I could do ad nauseum, I'll get to the heart of the matter. In addition to a regular diet of Dracula and Frankenstein movies, Hammer also produced a series of mummy films.

As in shambling Egyptian undead kings and the like.

Although Hammer Studios hasn't made a mummy film in decades they apparently have developed a comics division and, in concert with Titan Comics, are delivering a new take on their Egyptian monster.  I was initially excited, giddy even, about the prospect of Hammer Horror comics, but I fear their freshman endeavor left me a bit nonplussed.

The Mummy: Palimpsest hits all the notes I love about Hammer Horror films, but it's got none of the spirit. Gone is the heavy gothic atmosphere, menacing villains practicing demagoguery, hapless henchmen and townsfolk, the lot.
Just gone.
As I said, there's notes. Esoteric cultists, a strong woman lead, jackal-headed gods...
All there, but hardly representative of the Hammer brand. The book is a fine example of a horror comic, sure, but it certainly doesn't conjure forth any feelings reminiscent of Hammer Films.

I'm not sure if editorial meddling, fear of poor sales, or Milligan simply not understanding Hammer Horror crippled this book, but I'm pretty sure this is a one-and-done for me. Perhaps I'm hypercritical due to my endearing love of Hammer films, but I hold a pretty high bar when it comes to my B-grade classic horror.

As an aside, a palimpsest is a document that has had its original text removed and replaced with other writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment