Friday, March 31, 2017

REVIEW: Man-Thing #1

Writer: R.L. Stine
Artist: German Peralta
Colors: Rachelle Rosenberg
Review: Madman

I was so looking forward to a Man-Thing book starting…and then…R.L. Stine…    
I have specific tastes, things I need, as a superhero fan boy AND a giant-sized swampy Man-Thing is in the top of 10 fantasy wish list…no regrets.    
In my world Man-Thing is in this weird little family that I can’t really explain.  You see, for some strange reason, I have this weird little trinity that lives deep inside my inner comicdom… In my world, Man-Thing, Swamp Thing, and the one and only Toxic Avenger are the best of friends. It’s permanently carved into my brain, and it won’t go away. They get their own category in the card catalog of my think organ. No clue, I don’t know why, so stop asking me… Over here that’s the “radioactive spider” drawer, that’s the “tabletop gaming” file. Over there, that’s the “things necessary to survive” section... Oh, there are the guys sitting on a muddy swamp island. I know. Weird.        

I was so hoping that good ole’ R.L. would leave Goosebumps or whatever watered down kiddy stuff he’s been working on and get the hell out of my Man-Thing. That being said, R.L. is good at what he does, but that doesn’t mean he needs to write Man-Thing. I finished this first issue and walked away totally disappointed. Maybe that’s my fault for getting my hopes up that my Man-Thing itch was about to get scratched. It wasn’t, and it’s painful. I had hoped to get the dark, depressing, tortured Man-Thing from back when Marvel actually gave a damn. Instead I got a green, smelly swamp monster trying to make it in the movie business… The jokes and snide comments made throughout the book were so corny and lame. Worse than the dumbest stuff Deadpool has ever said. Bad. I hated the book before I even finished it. So much I instantly deleted it from my pull list. I don’t have the cash or the time to be messing around with broken ass hos.

It’s so sad that my favorite part of the issue was the color work of Rachelle Rosenberg. I heard on the internets that Marvel is dropping a bunch of titles in May, and I bet this one ends up on the list. Maybe not, though. I’m not really in touch with the R.L. fan base so maybe they’ll save it. Either way, it‘s lame, and I hold this book in contempt. Before I read this issue, Man-Thing was the leader of the weird trinity of my mind AND NOW I’m not quite sure…                      
Swamp Thing has been getting a bit uppity.

No comments:

Post a Comment