Friday, April 21, 2017

REVIEW: Spider-Woman #17

Writer: Dennis Hopeless
Artist: Veronica Fish
Color Artist: Rachelle Rosenberg
Review: Madman

I’m not sure how many times I’ve reviewed this title… I’m guessing it’s a few. I can’t say for sure, because I rave about it a lot, mostly with my fellow HCB dudes, myself, and sometimes my dog. I just can’t help it. The book is just that damn good . . . unexplainably good. It has the feel of a reality television program or dare I say a soap opera… Yeah, I don’t know but it’s entertaining as hell.

Jess has gone and fallen in love with Roger Gocking, the reformed D-list super villain we love and know as the Porcupine, and it’s fantastic. Jess has long since left the Avengers, trading in her heavy-hitter status for the lowly life of a P.I. This gives her time to focus on raising her infant son, Gerry, and her newly kindled romance. It’s fun to read about Jess dealing with ordinary and mundane things in life that one does not usually get in a superhero title. No clones, no big baddie trying to take over the world, no Alien invasion, no shitty swamp monster trying to make it in the movie business, no Totally Awesome Hu...you get the idea. In fact the opening few panels are Jess and her bestie Captain Marvel trying to figure out how best to hang the rope lights for the party Jess is throwing. It sounds lame, but I assure you it’s not. Jess just wants to have some fun so she’s throwing a rooftop party and inviting all her super-friends and hilarity ensues.        

Most of the Avengers show up, along with my man Spidey, and a few others you can see mingling in the background. The best part of this issue was the dialogue between Jess and Black Widow. It seems, like most of the Avengers, Natasha just can’t wrap her ginger mind around the fact Jess would leave the Avengers, take up a life slumming it as a P.I., and date some loser who dresses up like a human porcupine. The other Avengers were being just as obtuse, but Natasha was the blunt vocal one. At one point it seemed Jess was about to throw a spider-uppercut and knock off her pretty little head. Instead she slams a couple glasses of wine and all is forgiven, almost as if on cue, Roger runs to check on Gerry after his baby monitor starts going ape shit. When Roger gets to the nursery Gerry is hopping and crawling all over the ceiling, and promptly and lovingly, he nails Roger with a baby-powered energy blast and crawls out the window towards the roof.

All the heroes and Jess see the baby crawling up the wall but don’t freak out. I didn’t really understand why no one said diddly squat about that but, oh well… As babies do, Gerry falls down and tumbles off the roof and of course Roger doesn’t hesitate and dives right after him, saving the day.  Well, actually, Spidey snags them both with a web line and saves the day, but let’s not split hairs here… The point is out of all the previously mentioned supers on the roof it was our beloved Roger that saved the day.

I honestly can’t say enough about how seriously entertaining this entire series has been. Every single issue has been spot-on; the writing, the colors, the art all is fantastic. Marvel’s books, save a few, have been falling incredibly flat as of late but not this one. I don’t know how many people have been reading this title or its sales rankings. This here book should be Marvel’s flagship comic at the moment, because it doesn’t suck. I’m telling you, stop supporting the soulless mega-events and movie runoff books. Start supporting the quality titles hiding in the shadows before the dweebs in charge forget to send out the creative teams’ paychecks, and we loose this and other B-list books. Please, for the love of God, don’t make me buy 20 copies of every issue, because I’ll do it… I’ll take hostages…. I mean it. Not to mention I NEED to know who Gerry’s father is, and Marvel won’t tell me if I don’t. Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment