Friday, September 15, 2017

Kokomo Con 2017

For one day every year in mid to late October, Kokomo Indiana is the center of the known geek universe. The Kokomo-Con fills the Kokomo Event & Conference Center to capacity with all things geeky and pop culture. 
The geeks here in Kokomo are pretty spoiled, really, with our beloved Geek Street. That’s right: a block in downtown Kokomo is lovingly referred to as Geek Street as it is home to Comics Cubed, the grooviest comic book store ever,Kokomo Toys & Collectables, the largest vintage toy and collectable toy store in the state of Indiana, and American Dream Hi-Fi, a vinyl record shop/arcade/live show venue. Geek street is a truly unique place that any self respecting geek MUST visit. 
If Geek Street is our Mecca, Kokomo-Con is our Super Bowl. Every year Kokomo-Con gets better and better, surpassing the pervious years' epicness on all fronts. Each year the organizers, Shawn Hilton, Austin Meissnest, and an army of volunteers work to bring in a huge variety of venders, artists, and creators. There’s literally something for everyone, so I’ll run down a list of a few of this years guests and such.

Each year the Kokomo-Con brings in a well-know contributor to the world of comics and this years guest of honor happens to be none other then the legendary writer, John Ostrander…
I know, exciting right?!!! We are, of course, talking about the father of the modern-day Suicide Squad and the creator of Amanda Waller. Mr. Ostrander is known for his work on Star Warshis epic run on Spectre, X-MenHawkworld, DC’s Legend mini-series, the list goes on and on. I’m pretty excited to get a chance to meet this guy. Even though the con is little less then a month away I’ve already dug out my first issue of Legends and my copy of The Spectacular Spider-Man #1000 one-shot as well that I will hopefully be getting signed. Fantastic!

Mike Gold, the legendary editor and co-founder of First Comics, will also be in attendance. Mr. Gold has worked his editing magic on such titles as Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters, Action Comics, The Question, The Shadow, and Legends, just to name a few. I will be getting him to sign my copy of Legends #1 as an added bonus.

Kokomo’s own Paul Allor will also be in the house. Mr. Allor has written G.I. Joe, TMNT, TET, and Clue for IDW, Past the Last Mountain, and Secret Empire: Brave New World for Marvel, and many others. I would take my Brave New World books for Mr. Allor to sign but he has already signed them as he signs all his works found on the selves of Comics Cubed…
Like I said, geeks in Kokomo are spoiled and well taken care of.

Artist alley never disappoints either. Last year Steve Griger was in attendance and I got a few Spidey books signed and he also hooked me up with a Spidey print and a rad Venom print, both proudly displayed in my mancave
Local artist Sterling Clark will be back this year slinging his awesome artwork. To be honest I’m not sure if Mr. Clark has any comic books to his credit, but I know the prints he sells are grade A eye candy. 
(Editor's note: Sterling works on the Six Emperors comic from Sexy Beard Club Press, and his own strip, Ntombinde, amongst others)

Also, one of my favorite artists will be running his hustle again this year. I am referring to Gavin Smith, illustrator of Blue Juice Comic’s Accelerators fame. Accelerators is a really great book with a time travel theme, and I highly recommend it. I historically snatch up two or three of his prints each year, and my man cave if basically wallpapered with this work. 

This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg as there are tons of venders and the like to boot. I will no doubt spend hours pawing through the 50-cent and dollar boxes and am so looking forward to it. There is also a charity auction that is full of amazing items from autographed what-have-yous from celebrities, original works of art, vintage toys, and everything in between. I’ve never had the pleasure of walking out with anything, but it’s always fun to try. The proceeds go to benefit the Kokomo Humane Society as well as The Excelsior Scholarship, a scholarship given by Comics Cubed to a deserving member from the local high school’s graphic novel club, which is awesome…
Again, the geeks here in Kokomo are spoiled.

If gaming is your thing there is usually some of that going on in a giant room designated just for that. In years past there has been tabletop miniature games, card games of all sorts, or, if you are into board games, there will most likely be a nice fellow by the name of Randy Smith with a mountain of board game of all flavors for you to partake in.. I’m not totally sure what all will be going on in said designated game room this year, but I bet there will be something to tickle your fancy.


Last but certainly not least I should mention the mind-blowing annual costume contest. The cosplay going on here rivals the big shows even. Over that last couple years it has gotten harder and harder for me to pick a favorite and the costumes have gotten better and better in my opinion. There are multiple categories and a decent cash payout to the winners, so if cosplay is your thing you’d fit right in here.
fair warning: the competition is legit.

Kokomo-Con 2017 is on Saturday, October 14th, 10am-6pm, at the Kokomo Event & Conference Center located at 1500 North Reed Road, Kokomo, Indiana right off US 931. 

1 comment: