Friday, October 6, 2017

REVIEW: Sink #1

Story: John Lees
Art & Colors: Alex Cormack
Letters: Colin Bell
Review: Cody “Madman” Miller, a.k.a Identity Crisis

I was sifting through the books in my to-read pile when this wild and crazy cover with a bloody, fox-headed, shovel-wielding vigilante covered in blood jumped up and volunteered for dissection. I believe I may have snatched this book up after my comic dealer talked it up as a twisted horror book…sold. I’m all about helping the little guy out and spending a few bucks to check out their work.

I had never heard of Comixtribe before now and in fact had to search them out with Google. As it turns out, “Comixtribe is an indie publisher that publishes many acclaimed comics and has one goal. Their goal is to help creators make better comics.” So sayeth Comic Vine Wiki. Since I’m being honest, I have never in my life heard of any of the books credited to these guys. It would appear they are into podcasts, forums, and all that fancy tech stuff, so you can check them out if you’re into that sort of thing.

I’m really glad I picked up this book. The first issue is intense to say the least. In fact, I believe my first thought directly after reading the issue was, “Damn that’s creepy.”
Much to the contributors’ credit, it’s creepy enough that you want to see and read more, but not so creepy that you lock yourself in your “safe space”.  

The book starts out with this guy, Allan, who misses the last bus from wherever he is in Glasgow to wherever he lives. Allan is about to have the most screwed up crazy-ass night, and he doesn’t even know it’s coming. After turning down a ride from one of his friends, poor Allan misses his bus home, which may have been for the best as it’s revealed the bus is full of bloody human corpses. He decides to hoof it the two hours home.  Almost immediately Allan starts getting harassed by these homeless-looking dudes who are apparently a highly organized group of cannibals who come very close to murdering and eating Allan. The previously mentioned bloody, fox-headed, shovel-wielding vigilante appears out of nowhere and “helps” Allan out. Foxhead lays down some wisdom and offers Allan a few tips in regards to surviving the streets of Glasgow after dark. Allan is just royally screwed and shortly after he is snatched up by a blue van full of evil clowns and whisked away.

The story and dialogue were really well done and, as I mentioned creepy, as hell. I really enjoyed the artwork as well, as it was (as I mentioned) creepy as hell. I was really pleased with this book on all counts and I will absolutely be adding this title to my weekly pulls. Fans of horror, the macabre, or fox-headed, shovel-wielding vigilantes, then this book is definitely a no-brainer for you, and highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment