Friday, May 18, 2018

Free Comic Book Day 2018 - Madman

Ah yes, Free Comic Book Day is the one thing I will willingly stand in line for that does not involve emptying my bladder. I’m being 100% honest here. I don’t wait in lines. I don’t wait for a table at a restaurant. I just don’t wait period. I have the patience of a toddler and willingly admit that…

The irony here is my wife is 7 months pregnant, so I guess I have been waiting for that to happen. Soon enough I’ll have actual data and first hand comparisons of an infants’ patience compared to my own. The main point here is that I simply do not wait.

FCBD is not that day. I arrived an hour and five minutes early at Comics Cubed and attained the coveted first spot in line. Again, being honest here, I could really care less about the free comics. I mean, the majority of the books are reprints, glorified advertisements, or a weird little mixture of both. Don’t get me wrong though; it sure is a lot of fun taking part in the geeky festivities. Hanging out with friends and other like-minded geeks is always a good time. The real reason I go to Comics Cubed every May 5th with a pocket full of cash are the ridiculous deals and “flash sales” that go on, starting an hour before the doors open for the freebies.   

Being first in line I got to see what merch was about to come out the door, if I wanted it, and call dibs first.
It was a glorious thing.

All my free kid-friendly books always end up in the short box of comics my wife has in her 5th grade classroom. I usually grab books especially for said short box but this year, first in line or not, I purchased one of every single FCBD 2018 offered for $10. It just seemed like the thing to do. 

The Tick

I freaking love The Tick, and had I actually had to select my books from the offerings, I would have grabbed this without question. The cover is fantastic if you haven’t noticed.

“Prophesy of Peril”
Story: Jeff McClelland
Art: Ian Nichols

This was my favorite “short” in the issue. It’s your typical Tick shenanigans we know and love. The Tick has been crowned Emperor of some far off land and is bamboozled into finding and destroying a dead wizard’s magic stone that has cursed the kingdom. He finds the stone and battles the dead wizards pet guardian dragon. I literally laughed out loud a few times during this epic battle to the death and a few parts in between.

Ian Nichols’ artwork is on point and made reading the story even more awesome.

“30 minutes or Less”
Story and Art: Tony Sedani

This short was roughly three pages long and all about a pizza delivery guy getting robbed and, of course, Tick and Arthur saving the day and delivering the pizza in the nick of time.

“May the Best Man Win”
Writer: Jeff McClelland
Artist: Ian Nichols.

This one is about The Tick being the best man in an unnamed stretchy superhero wedding. It was kind of boring and unmemorable.

The Only Living Boy #12

Writer: David Gallaher
Artist: Steve Ellis

This book was about Erik Farrell, the last boy, and his dealings with an evil mad scientist, various alien races, and some nasty beasts.

I couldn’t really get into this one. It wasn’t a very long story as the entire last quarter of book was just a bunch of ads for various other books I cared even less about. If I saw other issues of The Only Living Boy I would probably pick them up seeing as the story, what there was, was rather intriguing and the artwork for the aliens and beasts was pretty rad.

Street Angel’s Dog

Writer: Jim Rugg
Artist: Brian Maruca

This was an interesting book about a girl named Street Angel saving this stay dog and battling a bunch of local street thugs along the way. There wasn’t much meat as far as actual words and narrative, but the artwork pretty much told the story. Not sure if it’s my cup of tea though and I probably wouldn’t pick up any of the Street Angel trades advertised within unless they were going for cheap.

I have twenty or more FCBD books yet to read, but so far my top pick is definitely The Tick.
As it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment