Monday, June 25, 2018

REVIEW: Hawkman #1

Writer: Robert Venditti
Penciller: Bryan Hitch
Inkers: Andrew Currie & Bryan Hitch
Colorist: Alex Sinclair
Review: Madman

Today is a good day. I was so, so happy to hear DC was releasing a new Hawkman book.
I don’t follow DC very much except for the Batman book. Although I will read any Hawkman comic thrown at me; I just love the character. When I was a youngster my best buddy from down the alley, Dustin, had all the Justice League toys complete with the Hall of Justice. Of course, since they were his toys, he always chose Batman and Superman, and I always got Martian Manhunter and Hawkman. That was perfectly fine with me. Looking back that’s probably where I fell in love with the character even before I’d read any Hawkman comics.

I was even more excited to read this book when I saw the amazing variant cover by Stjepan Sejic. I don’t get too excited about most variant covers like some of my buddies, but I promptly snatched this bad boy up in all its majestic glory.
Speaking of artwork, Bryan Hitch’s illustrations between the covers is on point and really does make my soul hurt thinking about how long I have to wait before the second issue drops.
Damn you, flux capacitor! Why have you forsaken me?!!!

Robert Venditti’s wordsmithing didn’t let me down either. He has Carter Hall searching for an ancient artifact that holds the key to unlocking parts of Carter’s forgotten history. Carter has been resurrected 100s of times over the entire course of human history; such is the curse/bonus of being Hawkman, I guess.
Venditti has crafted an absolutely rad vibe in the way he sets up background and tone of this first issue. Picture a weathered Indiana Jones vibe, except with wings and a mace that makes Lucille look like a pool noodle. I’ve always been into archeology, treasure hunting, and history in general, so I really love how Venditti  used those aspects to develop Carter’s background.

The big reveal in this issue is the world is going to end at the hands of mysterious giant winged beings, and only Hawkman can save us.
Ok, it’s definitely a bit hokey but, yeah, ok, I’m on board. GO HAWKMAN!
I hope Venditti keeps up the archeology theme in the rest of the series more than anything. If he does I’m going to fall hopelessly in love with this book…I mean, I already am…just saying.
GO HAWKMAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment