Friday, July 6, 2018

REVIEW: Batman #50

Writer: Tom King
Artist: Mikel Janin
Colorist: June Chung
Review: Madman

Well, here we go. The long awaited super-sized issue jam-packed full of Bat-Goodness, and the world shattering wedding of the Batman and Catwoman has finally arrived!
I’ve read through the issue a couple of times now and, for the life of me, can’t make up my mind if I like it or not. Maybe the build up and energy DC put into this climactic issue raised my expectations and made me want it a little too much…

After reading the Prelude to the Wedding books, which I really enjoyed, as well as The Best Man story arc in Batman issues 48 and 49 I expected this issue to blow my mind... Well, it was more like a soggy Snap Pop. Batman #49 was so, so good. I’d go as far as to say it is my favorite issue of Batman I have read in a long time…and Batman didn’t even have that big of a part to play in the issue. Most of the heavy lifting went to The Joker and Catwoman.

I was in a really good place after issue 49, but after reading issue 50, I feel duped. It’s really hard not to give away spoilers for those of you who haven’t actually read the issue yet, but I just don’t get it…
Why? Why all the set up for a very small pay out. I get it’s all a gimmick to sell books, but you figure DC would have some kind of reward waiting at the end of the tunnel for those of us that bought and read every single book leading into this event, which is kind of a big deal, but nope.
Like I said, I really didn’t know what to expect, but this wasn’t it…
Maybe it was my fault…maybe I missed something…maybe I knew it was going to happen but chose to ignore it.

Not everything was a huge disappointment, though, as DC did deliver in the form of an army of, “special guest”, writers and artists. Each got their own page to pay tribute to the Bat-N-Cat on their special day, err, issue. The guest list included heavy hitters such as Jim Lee, Frank Miller, and Neal Adams, to name a few.
What DC lost in the way this issue ended they made up for in page after page of beautiful pinups drawn in the various different styles of the guest artists.
The pin-ups alone are worth the $4.99 price tag, so the rather lackluster finish is a little less hard to swallow.
I really can’t say anymore without leaking spoilers, so I better stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment