Saturday, September 17, 2016

Script: Garth Ennis
Art: Carlos Ezquerra
Colors: Michael Atiyeh
Letters: Rob Steen
Cover Art: Isaac Hannaford
Review: Madman

Everyone needs some Ennis every once in awhile. That’s pretty much nerd law. The cover art is what drew me to the book initially with its apocalyptic landscape, tanks, real as hellfire, and did I mention tanks. I'm definitely not an expert on WW2 tanks by any means, and it doesn’t matter which country’s iron chariots we’re talking about. I mean, I’ve watched Saving Private Ryan and Fury but I'd be hard pressed to pick a Panzer or Sherman tank out of a line up. That being said, I thought the different tanks seemed like they were drawn with a lot of research and there are repetitive details on the related tanks within their squadron. So, I’m led to believe the artwork is somewhat historically accurate. Ha! Tanks!

The storyline takes place 30 days after the infamous D-Day. We spend time with and get to know a British tank group of B Squadron. The Squadron consists of Cromwells and Sherman Fireflies and is meeting up with the Allies already fighting in Normandy. On the flip side we get to know a squadron of Panthers of the Panzerabteilung pausing in a forest on the edge of a large open plain for maintenance between British airstrikes. Ezquerra drops a full page of British (I’m not good with aircraft, either) planes unleashing hell on the German armor . . . absolutely a thing of beauty. It's here at this Waterloo these two brotherhoods of destruction are fated to meet in the near future.  


So far, as crazy as it sounds, I find myself rooting for both groups. Props to Ennis for making the bad guys a matter of opinion. That may make me a bad person, I’m not sure. The artwork throughout out the book is, as the kids say these days, “Amazeballs”. The book has real potential in my opinion and for now I’m in for few more issues. It literally broke my heart to see an ad on the back cover for a World of Tanks video game. I hate video games. It doesn’t sit well that this comic is based on a video game, but we’ll see.

Tanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment